Microsoft has come a long way by providing users with media features. The Windows OSes started out by providing very basic media utility features but with advancements in tech, modern Windows OSes have superior media features. Well, media features in an OS is a very important component and any OS that provides users with the best media control features will be regarded highly and users will prefer using the OS often. Well, even a modern OS like Windows 10/ 11 will have some issue related to media, and here in our case, users have reported Windows Photo Viewer not working. So, here in this article, we will try to dig into the problem and see what are some simple methods to make the Windows Photo Viewer work properly.
Photo viewer on Windows is a pretty good application that can be used to view any type of photo on Windows computers. The application brings in many features like editing the photo with many cool tools and much more making it the best built-in photo viewer application. With the Windows Photo Viewer on the computer, there is no need for a third-party photo viewer, so that’s how cool the application is on Windows. Well, when there is an error with the application, it becomes difficult for users to view photos on Windows and this needs to be fixed to view photos on the computer. Well, if you are facing trouble using the application on your computer, you can try some of these fixes and make sure the issue is gone.
Recommended Post:- Fixed: Microsoft Store Error 0x87e10bcf – Complete Guide
So, before we dive directly into learning the fixes for the error, let’s see what causes the error on your computer. So, there is no single issue that can cause the error but there are some known culprits like corrupt system files or corrupt user profiles. Well, these causes are not very serious, so fixing the issue on Windows wil be pretty easy. Well, even if nothing works, there are other alternative applications that can be employed to view and edit photos on Windows computers. Now, that we know what causes the error, let’s see how the error manifests on the computer.
- Windows 10 Photo Viewer App Didn’t Start.
- Windows Photo Viewer not showing thumbnail.
- WIndows 10 Phptp Viewer black screen.
- Windows Photo Viewer won’t open JPG.
- Windows Photo Viewer File System Error.
- Windows Photo Viewer print not working.
- Windows Photo viewer Slideshow not working.
Simple Methods to Fix the Windows Photo Viewer Application Not Working
Well, now, we can jump right into the solutions part, here are some simple methods that you can use and fix the error on your Windows computer.
Method 1: Set the Windows Photo Viewer as the Default Photo Viewer App
Settings the application the default one gives it some extra privileges and thee might help with resolving the issue on your computer.
- To make the application the default one, download the Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_CURRENT_USER.reg from an authentic website.
- Now, install the downloaded registry in your computer.
- Now, open the settings application.
- Here in the settings, go to the apps section.
- Now, select the defaults option from the left windows pane and here, under the photo viewer, select the Windows Photo Viewer as the default.
Method 2: Reinstall Windows Photo Viewer using PowerShell
- Open the PowerShell by searching for it using the search function.
- Run the PowerShell as an administrator.
- Now, in the PowerShell terminal, type in et-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage and hit enter to run the command.
- This command will remov the Photos app from your computer, once done, install the Photos application from Microsoft Stores.
Method 3: Check your Antivirus
Antivirus applications are said to cause minor issues on Windows OS, the application can interfere with the normal functioning of the OS and other applications.
So, disable the antivirus application and then try opening a photo using the Windows Photo Viewer application and if the application works, then the issue is with the antivirus.
Method 4: Use the SFC and DISM Scan to Fix issues with System Files
- Open the command prompt as an administrator.
- Now, in the terminal, run the sfc/ scannow command.
- Any issue with the system file will be fixed by the command.
- Now, if the problem still persists, try running the DISM command.
- Open the command prompt as an administrator and here, run the command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
Method 5: Change the Inheritance Settings
- Go to the directory “C:UsersYour_usernameAppDataLocal” and here, Now, right-click on the temp folder and select the properties option.
- Now, go to the Security tab, and click on advanced.
- Now, enable the inheritance option. Now, check the box near replace all child object permission entries with inheritance permission entries from this object.
Method 6: Install Third-Party Photo Viewer Applications
If no method works for you, you can install any authentic third-party paid or free photo viewing application and view the photos on your computer. There are thousands of good free or paid applications that are available on the Microsoft Stores, so, do research about the applications and then download the one that you think will serve your purpose.
Hope the information provided above was helpful and informative, with these simple methods, you can either fix the issue with the Photos Application or view photos on other applications.