We use our computers for most of our tasks these days. These could be basic tasks like surfing the web or playing a game. We like our experience to be as uninterrupted as possible and do not usually like it when something happens to ruin that. There is something that could actually cause your computer to shut down and not work like it is supposed to and that is called a black screen.
A black screen, sometimes called “the black screen of death”, is when your system’s screen suddenly turns black. You will not be able to continue with whatever you were doing before unless this problem gets fixed. Black screens could be caused by a variety of issues. These include a hung-up setup process, a hardware performance issue, or routing of the video output to an incorrect output.
Whatever the cause of a black screen may be, we assume that you would want to get rid of it. Please continue below to read what we have prepared for you so that you will know how to fix this problem in case you face it yourself. There are many kinds of solutions to this problem that you can try.
Steps that can be followed in order to fix black screen problems on Windows 10
If you want to get rid of your black screen and resume what you were doing previously, please try following the steps that are given below in order to help you:
- Since black screens are sometimes encountered when you install Windows 10 for the first time, you should turn off your computer. You may not be able to do this because of the black screen which means that you may have to hold down your power button for a couple of seconds till your system shuts down.
- Next, unplug the Ethernet cable in order to disconnect from the internet.
- You will then have to disconnect from all the external peripherals that you may not need. These can include game controllers of phone chargers.
- Try to remove the power from your system by taking out the power cord from its outlet. In case your computer gets overheated, you can wait up to an hour before plugging it back in. If not, you can do it after 30 seconds.
- You can then connect your system to power again. You can turn the power back on once you have done this. This may cause Windows to continue running and you may have to complete your installation process again.
- You can use an ISO file or Media Creation Tool in order to upgrade your system manually in case you go back to the previous version of Windows that you were using instead of the new one that you were trying to install.
- In case you experience a black screen during an Out Of Box Experience(OOBE), which is something that happens when you are using your product for the first time, you may have to go a different route when it comes to solving the problem.
- You should try disconnecting your video cable from whatever adapter it was in and then try making use of another one.
- You could connect your cable to another monitor if you have one.
- In case you are used to connecting to a discrete graphics card but your system is one that has an onboard adapter, you should make use of that one instead. The driver can then be updated after the setup has been completed.
- If you are using a television set, you have to make sure that it is on and that the input for the computer has been set.
- You may be in a situation where the black screen just appears completely out of nowhere. In such a case, you would have to follow a different procedure to solve the problem.
- You would have to boot into Safe Mode where you will be able to troubleshoot the black screens that you have. In order to get into this mode, you will have to switch your system on and off 3 times. After you have done this, ensure that you switch off your computer when you encounter the Windows logo when the booting process is taking place.
- Your OS will then start to boot into diagnostics mode. When the recovery screen appears in front of you, you will have to select Advanced options.
- Then, click Startup Settings and then Restart. You will then have a bunch of options displayed in front of you that will list what you can do. You will have to select the fourth option; press 4 on your keyboard.
- After signing in, press a combination of the Windows key and X. Then, click on Device Manager and expand Display Adapter.
- You will then have to right-click the driver and select Disable. After all of this is done, restart your system to check if the setup has been completed successfully. In case you can get to the desktop, check if there are any updates that can be made.
Getting a black screen can be incredibly annoying and completely ruin your workflow. You may have been doing something quite important and found yourself in a proper fit of rage after seeing what happened. You need not fret about this since there are so many different options that you can try in order to fix this black screen problem.
You can try the procedure that corresponds to whatever situation you are faced with and attempt another one in case the prior procedure did not fix all of your problems. No matter what happens, remember that you are not alone as there are tons of others who may have faced or are currently facing the same problem as you. You can always reach out to us in the comments section below in case you need to discuss anything or need extra help. We will do our best to get back to you with a solution that can resolve your problem.