Wi-Fi is something that is a very integral part of any modern-day computer or smart device. It is one such feature that is employed almost everywhere there is a need for high-speed internet. Well, if you have been using computers for some time, you must be familiar with the protocols of connecting your system to the internet, and most of the time Wi-Fi is used to make the connection. Well, the applications of Wi-Fi are very wide, and almost every commercial organization
Wi-Fi is short for wireless fidelity, which means that any device can connect to a router, regardless of whether they have a physical connection to it. Because of this, WiFi can be used in places where you wouldn’t normally use a hardwired connection, such as inside a shop. This technology was invented in 1980, WiFi is a WLAN based on IEEE 802.11, originally designed for data communications between computers connected directly to each other over short distances using radio waves. but its application has been visible in just the recent decade as the internet became a thing and Wi-Fi is an efficient tool to propagate high-speed internet. An advantage of using wifi is that you don’t need to worry about running wires across your home or office.
However, you do need to make sure that you aren’t interfering with other devices that might be connected to the same network. If something else is connected to your router, then you may not be able to connect to the internet. Wifi is primarily used for consumer purposes, but it is rapidly expanding in the commercial space. Wifi networks operate similarly to cellular networks but do not require a hardwired connection between devices. Instead, wifi relies on radio frequencies, similar to how television broadcasts are received.
Recommended Post:- How to Quickly Disable a Roaming Profile on Windows 11
The base radio frequency of Wi-Fi is around 2.4 GHz, and this allows it to send out high-speed internet in all directions and allow multiple connections to propagate the internet to several devices. In recent days the use of Wi-Fi has become very intense as everyone prefers using Wi-Fi at the home, office, and in various other places like malls and coffee shops. Improvements to the Wi-Fi systems have been going on in the background and there are various features and security features that roll out each year that improves the usability and feasibility of the Wi-Fi.
So, to make it easier for users to access Wi-Fi on computers, most laptops come with a Wi-Fi function key built-in on the keyboard. Users generally just have to press that key along with the function key on the keyboard to enable or disable the Wi-Fi on the laptop, but at times the functions key or the Wi-Fi key doesn’t function and here, users have to depend on other methods to enable the Wi-Fi option on the laptop.
Well, if you are wondering about the function key not working, here are some common causes that might be the root cause of the issue:
- One of the reasons why the function key stops working is because someone has accidentally pressed the function lock key. The function lock key doesn’t work only with the Wi-Fi toggle key, you can easily check if the function key is locked because it affects other keys like Caps Lock and Num Lock. If so, you will need to enable the function lock key to enable Wi-Fi access.
- The reason why your Wi-Fi function key is not working cannot be trivial. This could be because you haven’t cleaned your keyboard for a long time, causing dust to build up in the key space. You can check out our guide on how to thoroughly clean your keyboard.
- If the old corrupted or damaged driver caused the function key to stopping working, updating your keyboard driver should be a positive fix for your Wi-Fi function key.
- If the WiFi Fn button does not respond when pressed, the button may be damaged. We recommend seeking professional help for keypad repair and replacement.
Simple Methods to Enable or Disable the Wi-Fi Option on Windows
So, now that we know what causes the issue, here we can get into how to enable or disable the Wi-Fi with other options on a Windows computer.
Method 1: Use the Action Center to Access the Wi-Fi Option
- To use the Action Center, you just have to press the Windows + A key on your computer and here, you will find various tools and the Wi-Fi option is one of them.
- So, if you wish to toggle it on, just press on it and it will toggle or on depending on the previous status.
Method 2: Use the Wi-Fi Icon in the Taskbar
- To enable or disable the Wi-Fi option, you can use the Wi-Fi icon in the taskbar.
- If you are unable to locate the icon, open the taskbar settings, and here, you can enable the option to display icons on the taskbar.
Hope the information provided above was helpful and informative, with these two simple methods you can easily enable or disable the Wi-Fi on your Windows computer even without the function key on the keyboard.