Windows ME stands for Windows Millennium edition and its codename is Millennium. It is a type of graphical OS (Operating System) which was developed by Microsoft is a component of its Windows 9x family belonging to the Operating system. Windows ME is preceded by Windows 98 which was released in 1998 while it is succeeded by Windows XP which was released in 2001. Its source model is of closed source. Windows ME was liberated to manufacturing on 19th June 2000 while it was commonly available from 14th September 2000.
Windows Millennium edition was probably the OS that was released under the series of windows 9x and it was addressed particularly to meet the utilization of home PC users. Moreover, it also included Windows Media Player 7, Internet Explorer 5.5, and software called Windows Movie Maker which was used to edit basic videos and it was designed in such a way that it could provide ease to the home PC users.
Moreover, Microsoft updated the interface of the graphical user, Windows Explorer, shell features and some of those which were earlier introduced in Windows 2000. Windows ME could be modified to Outlook express 6 SP 1, Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and the series of Windows media player 9. Many versions including 3.x, 2.0 SP1 and higher are not supported. However, version 2.0, as well as the Microsoft .NET Framework, are supported very well. The very last version of Microsoft Office that was easily compatible with the Windows millennium edition was Office XP.
Windows ME was an addition of the model of Windows 9x and is similarly based on DOS as its predecessors are but the access to the real mode MS-DOS is restricted to minimize the time taken by the system to boot.
The latest version of Windows ME being 4.90.3000 was released on 14th September 2000, almost 19 years ago.
Not long after Windows ME was discharged to assembling on 19th June 2000, Microsoft propelled a crusade activity to advance Windows ME in the United States, which they named the Meet Me Tour. A national banded together limited-time program highlighted OEMs, Windows ME and different accomplices in an intuitive mixed media fascination in 25 urban communities over the U.S. It was propelled on 14th September 2000. Contrasted and different arrivals of Windows, Windows ME had a short time span of usability of a little more than a year.
Microsoft intended to make ME the primary customer Windows OS dependent on the NT bit. In any case, this did not occur and Windows ME was raced to the market after the Neptune venture was dropped. Windows ME was regularly reprimanded for being Surrey, moderate, and unstable. Windows ME, alongside Windows 2000, was before long supplanted by the NT-based Windows XP, which was propelled on 24th August 2001.
Some of the features of Windows ME-
- User interface: – Windows ME displayed the feature of shell enhancement that is hereditary of Windows 2000 that includes re-designed Windows explorer toolbars,customizable menus, autocomplete in the run box and address bar of windows explorer, addressing comments as tooltips in shortcut, advanced features of file-type association of windows 2000, icon superimpose, expandable columns present in Details view, features of sort by name for menus, combined search layout in windows explorer, some themes of Plus! 98 and Plus! 95 and some of the refreshed graphics. Options including start menu and taskbar granted restriction of the feature of drag and drop and could avoid the resizing or moving of the taskbar, which became clear and effortless for the new users.
- Improvements for hardware support: – The DirectShow, DirectSound, wave out APIs approve support for such formats which are non-PCM as in WMA or AC-3 over S/PDIF. Suspend operations and the features of power management are also improved. The sleep state of ACPI S4 which is controlled by OS has been supported by Windows Millennium edition OEM version.
- Support for firewire and USB has been improved: – Windows ME is the main working framework in the Windows 9x arrangement that incorporates nonexclusive drivers for USB printers and USB mass stockpiling devices. Support for capacity gadgets and FireWire SBP2 scanners is additionally improved.
- Networking technologies: – A new feature which is termed as the net crawling feature has been introduced to Windows ME that spontaneously finds and generates shortcuts to printers and network shares in my network places. The Home networking wizard is designed in such a way that it helps the users to set up and manage a PC that is capable of running Windows ME in it for using it on a minor network from home. This incorporates setting up a type of connection termed as Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on a PC running Windows ME so the PC can impart an association with the Internet to different PCs on the home system.
- It is most important to know the fact that Windows ME runs only on an x86 system. For the above system, the requirements are stated below-
- The CPU requirement is a minimum of 150 MHz and should consist of Pentium while the recommended requirements are of 300 MHz as well as the use of Pentium 2.
- In the case of memory, the minimum requirement is of 32 MB while the recommended memory is 64 MB for the better use.
- CD or DVD drive 3.5″ inch floppy drive.
- The Media recommended is a CD or DVD drive 3.5″ inch floppy drive.
- The minimum display requirement is VGA while the recommended requirement is SVGA Video capture device for Windows Movie Maker.
- The minimum requirement for Sound hardware is sound card and speakers or headphones while the recommendations are of using Microphone for Windows Movie Maker.
- When it comes to the case of network requirement, there is no specific use but if you look at the recommendations, it requires 56.6 Kbps modem or faster with the current Internet connection.
- In the case of the use of input devices, Mouse or compatible pointing device can be used.
Steps to install Windows ME ISO
- understanding so you realize what you’re consenting to.
- Enter your product key and press Next. This is a 25 digit key which ought to have accompanied the Windows ME installation disk.
- Select “no”. Everything boils down to individual inclination, however in this instructional exercise, “no” was chosen, trailed by press Next.
- In the event that you have updated from a past adaptation of Windows, this message is asking whether you might want to keep the working framework you are overhauling from so that on the off chance that you don’t care for Windows ME, you can return to a more established form of Windows.
- The startup disk is there so that in the occasion Windows ME can’t boot, the PC will search for the startup disk and can boot Windows typically.
- Overlook this message (except if you put a clear floppy disk in the drive) and press OK.
- Press Finish. Overlook this message (except if you put a clear floppy disk in the drive) and press OK.
- Restart the PC.
- Fix a solidified screen. Should the PC solidify here, restart it.
- Restart your PC.
- Proceed with the establishment.
- Restart your PC.
- Type in your username (and password in the event that you have assigned one) and press OK.